Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Battleground

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Some of you know that my current battle with a healthy lifestyle comes after the destructive work of eating my way through a divorce. Even as I head for a major
comeback after peeling the emotional layers, I have an eye turned to the physical layers. Like a metaphor for the necessary "hibernation" time for recovery, I'm ready to come out of the cave AND the extra layer on my body. This fight is harder than any other, because my rewards for "bad behavior" are so immediate. Here's what I mean:
  • Yes, chocolate can cure a long night.
  • Yes, the cheesy goodness of a pizza can be a great companion for a long night of bad memories.
  • And yes, crunchy snacks are a fun friend for dateless movie rental weekends.
After the emotional recovery, I immediately wanted to kill those habits. Instead of bringing perceived relief, comfort foods feel like the artifact of an old reflex instead of something I really need. And thankfully, habits can be broken. Now that I'm sweeping out the cobwebs and feeling like a new woman on the inside, I'm ready for that "new" feeling to show. It's amazing what junk food does to the skin, the hair - and not so surprising what it does to general health and vibrancy. The cleanse on August 1st feels like the final battleground in this war.

Although I keep taking stabs at the Beast of Bad Habits, August 1st is my declared time for "it slays me or I slay it." I don't expect an all-at-once victory. We're talking about a big beast. But I do expect to leave that beast dying on the ground - unable to deal anymore devastating blows. I'll hang it's head as a trophy once the work is done.

No weapon formed against you shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17a)

2 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

Glad you've updated. I stalk your page almost daily looking for healthy guidance in an otherwise unhealthy world.

I support your optimism and your means of slaying the dragon (food) that all too often can become the first person to RSVP to an emotional pity party.

Hawa Bond said...

RSVP? Girl, at the lowest point... my food was THROWING the party. All I had to do was show up with the pity. ROFLMBO. I thank God that the low period was short and sweet, but I regret the terrible habits I picked-up while I was there.